Saturday, January 26, 2008

Today, Chris gave me feedback about my progress. He said that although I picked up things fast, I haven't been putting in my best effort. Especially so when he doesn't explain to me the rationale behind his instructions, I'd be even more slipshot with my work. I agree - I wouldn't do things just because I was told to do so. But things became clearer after he explained to me why he made me do certain things repeatedly- like ironing clothes, rolling ties, pinning shirts. It all made sense to me, and I was ashamed of my defiance.

I was glad we had this conversation and I promise myself to be more serious with these basic techniqes.

However, as I go through all these training, the question I ask myself is this- there are things that are always done/taught in a certain manner in the company, but are they necessary the best? Is there really a one size/ technique that fits for all? Personally, I feel that there should be criteria and benchmarks that new staff should adhere and stick to. And these criteria and benchmark must be consistent throughout all outlets, agreed upon by the central management, and not by virtue of seniority in the boutique. Various standards in the boutiques should be aligned to the image that the company wants to portray, and in order to ensure consistency, it has to be strictly enforced by the top management. As insignificant as it sounds, I feel that the customer touchpoints are the most crucial when it comes to brand image.

Oh wells, just my thoughts again as usual.


1 comment:

valeria said...

I think that Mr Tiong has already stressed on the importance of having standards in the Company. That means that all the staff belonging to the Company has to behave and act in the same ways, in spite of the differences between Dept. Stores and boutiques. Then daily operations such as ironing or pinning shirts have to be accomplished by all the staff no matter which is their working location. Feel free to ask me any further question on this matter and remember that your colleagues have a little more experience than you but it's always your supervisor or Mr Tiong that can give you the main guidelines.